IGV History – cont.
Each of the aforementioned persons at Stockholms högskola and Stockholms universitet has contributed to the geological disciplines both in Sweden and abroad. Some take their place among the forefront figures of geology.
It is not claimed that the above text is a complete record. Its aim is more so to provide an overview of the history of the Department from 1881 until today, its past names, its research training programs and its professors.
Providing a picture of the Department’s diversified history has become more important given ongoing internationalisation; the proportion of lecturers/researchers coming from abroad has risen from 12% in 1999 to 61% in 2012.
Teresa Matus and Helen Gerhardsson at the Stockholm University Central Archive are thanked for assistance with finding historical records. Inês Jakobsson is thanked for graphic design of the Department’s history. Martin Jakobsson, Carl-Magnus Mörth and Alasdair Skelton read and commented on previous versions of this text. The original text in Swedish was written by Jan Backman. The text was translated to English by Alasdair Skelton.
Click here for the original Swedish text.
The professor reform of January 1999 opened a new opportunity for permanently employed lecturers to be promoted to professors. During the first decade of the new millenium, six of the Department’s lecturers were promoted to professor: Nils Holm (2000) in Marine Sediment Geochemistry, Peter Torssander (2001) in Isotope Geochemistry, Martin Jakobsson (2009) in Marine Geology and Geophysics, Carl-Magnus Mörth (2010) in Environmental Geochemistry, Sandra Piazolo (2010) in Structural Geology and Tectonics, and Victoria Pease (2010) in Tectonics and Magmatism.
With the changes to the program names in 2005 it became clear that two of the Department’s three programs were directly represented in the Department’s name: Geology and Geochemistry. The Department’s third research training program was not represented in this name. This led to the Department changing its name in 2010 to the Department of Geological Sciences.